Data Scientist (Bellevue, WA)
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for a Data Scientist to join our team. The right candidate will have a passion for diving deep into new and existing data sources to help drive actionable recommendations. We seek to delight our users with the safest, simplest, and most effective local marketplace app on the planet. Your role as a Data Scientist will be to research, design, implement and evaluate machine learning models and algorithms to make our products more intelligent.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Serve as an analytics advisor to solve business problems using data.
- Work with business partners to define product requirements, provide analytical support, and create models to enhance the safety of our customers.
- Identify opportunities and execute results across the company in product search, personalization recommender, crime risk modeling, user reputation, etc.
- Contribute to the development of end-to-end experimentation-forward product improvements from conception/research, to offline testing, then live A/B testing and finally shipping to production.
- Leverage the latest machine learning technologies to solve complex business problems.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have: (All OfferUp employees are required to receive full Covid-19 vaccinations, per CDC guidelines. OfferUp will review accommodation requests due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.)
- 6+ years of demonstrated experience with machine learning or data science
- Expertise with modeling in Python, and data manipulation in SQL
- Hands-on experience in predictive modeling and analyses to solve real business problems
- Strong analysis, problem-solving, data structures, and algorithm development background
- Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics or a related technical field
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces
- Experience in the Trust & Safety, Risk domains, Search, or Advertising is desirable
- Experience integrating code into a live production environment
- Experience working with TensorFlow
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: entity extraction, semantics in text, image recognition, recommender systems, ranking, LDA, classification
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- #2 U.S. shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities by creating safe in-person locations for OfferUp transactions.
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.