Senior Data Engineer (@Remote)
Senior Data Engineer
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer to work on building, operating, and scaling OfferUp’s batch and near real-time data processing platforms and tools that will power data-driven capabilities throughout the entire organization. This is a highly visible opportunity to build systems that drive the end user experience, as well as directly supporting backend engineers, business intelligence dashboards and reports, data analysts and data scientists. Building the largest and most responsive mobile marketplace poses unique data challenges that require leveraging the latest developments in data infrastructure. We leverage open source infrastructure where we can, but are ready to build and share solutions if they don’t exist yet. Come help us do that!
This role can be in Bellevue, Washington or @Remote in the following states: Washington, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia.
- Be the technical lead on the team, owning the architecture of the data solutions, and the data platform.
- Lead the team by example, mentor other engineers and help them with their growth.
- Drive engineering best practices, set standards and propose larger projects which may require cross-team collaboration.
- Design and develop applications to process large amounts of critical information in batch and near real-time to power user-facing features.
- Influence technical direction for the company, leveraging your prior experiences and helping evaluate emerging technologies and approaches.
- Help bring engineering maturity to a growing team that is at the center of a lot of critical initiatives for the company
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Strong ability in distributed systems for processing large scale data processing
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
- Proficiency in SQL and Python
- Experience leveraging open source data infrastructure projects, such as Apache Spark, Airflow, Kafka, Flink, Samza, Avro, Parquet, Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Phoenix, Presto or Druid
- Experience building scalable data pipelines and real-time data streams
- Experience building software in AWS or a similar cloud environment
- Experience with AWS services like Kinesis, Firehose, Lambda, Sagemaker is a big plus
- Experience with GCP services like BigQuery, Cloud Functions is a big plus
- Computer Science or Engineering degree required, Masters degree preferred
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- #2 U.S. shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities by creating safe in-person locations for OfferUp transactions.
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.