Business Intelligence Data Engineer II (Mexico)
This opening is in Mexico. Please ensure your submitted resume is in English, for review.
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with Letgo will reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is looking for a Business Intelligence Engineer to join our Data Warehouse team. We seek to delight our users with the safest, simplest and most effective local marketplace app on the planet. Your role as a Business Intelligence Engineer will be to help OfferUp use the most cutting edge data technology to maintain its market lead in customer trust and product enthusiasm.
In this role, you will be expected to understand the business and implement data pipelines and BI solutions (databases, queries, views, reports, and dashboards); from our warehouse and data stores to best in class data models that drive analytics and reporting across our business. Within our data family, we work closely with our own Data Science team to prepare and deploy data for model construction – models that are industry-leading – key drivers for understanding our business and making decisions across our marketplace!
You must be a highly motivated person with a history of success working closely with business partners to define and implement analytics features that can be tracked to monitor product enhancement success and impact on the bottom line.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Work closely with Business Operations and Data Science teams to define requirements for reporting and data science modeling
- Understand basic data science concepts and build simple data science models
- Build and operate large scale data infrastructure in production
- Design, implement and debug data transformations, models and dashboards
- Think through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios.
- Mentor other data engineers and analysts to help them with their growth
- Define data engineering best practices, set standards and lead projects which may require cross-team collaboration
- Contribute at a senior level to the data warehouse design and data preparation by implementing a robust and extensible design
- Design and develop applications to process large amounts of critical information to power user-facing features
- Influence technical direction for the company, leveraging your prior experiences and helping evaluate emerging technologies and approaches
You’ll thrive in this role if you are:
- As passionate about building large scale distributed data processing systems as you are about creating business value from the data in those systems
- Driven to make an impact creating a robust and scalable data intelligence platform used by every team
- Excited about a role that allows you to shape the vision and architecture of OfferUp’s next generation analytics infrastructure.
- Motivated by making it easy for developers to build data driven products and features.
What you’ve done:
- 6 months+ of SQL and data modeling.
- 6 months+ experience building with data reporting tools (Looker, Tableau, Mode or Periscope).
- 6 months+ Git/BitBucket or similar version control systems.
- Strong understanding of using distributed systems for processing data.
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken (fluency in English required)
Helpful, but not required:
- 6+ months of professional software development experience.
- Understanding of open-source data infrastructure projects, such as Apache Spark, Airflow.
- Understanding of building software in AWS/GCP or similar cloud environments.
- Understanding or experience with AWS/GCP services like EMR, Kinesis, Firehose, Lambda, Sagemaker, Athena, Firebase, BigQuery, GoogleStorage is a big plus.
- Computer Science or Engineering degree required, Masters degree preferred
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.