Chief Technology Officer
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is looking for an experienced Chief Technology Officer to join our executive team. This role reports to the CEO and oversees the Engineering, Data Science, and IT teams. The CTO role also works closely with the Product and Business teams to execute on the Company’s strategic product plans and with the other Executives as a leader who sets the direction of the Company.
In this role, you will be:
- Setting company technical vision and leading the company’s technological development
- Develop strategy and roadmaps for cloud infrastructure and clients
- Collaborating with other executives as an advisor on all technologies used by the company
- Ensuring technology standards and best practices are met and scaling cloud infrastructure to the next level
- Monitoring analytics and making recommendations that align with business goals
- Mentoring organizational leaders within Engineering
- Maintaining network and data security
- Creating and reviewing timeframes and budgets for development projects
- Sharing technological visions, opportunities, and risks company-wide
- Studying current and new industry trends, technologies, and software development
- Ensuring the company’s technological processes and service comply with all requirements, laws, and regulations
- 10 years experience in a software development role, information technology role, or related field
- 10 years in management or leadership role
- 3+ years experience leading a distributed organization of 200+
- Experience working with consumer-facing products or in e-commerce
- Excellent leadership, organization building, and management skills
- Able to build strong interpersonal relationships with peers and other senior leaders throughout the company
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Able to “think big” in setting development strategy
- Able to hire, develop, mentor, and lead technology staff
- Deep familiarity with cloud services (AWS, Azure, GCP, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong executive presence – confident in producing and presenting work to executives, Company, and Board
- In-depth understanding of the industry
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, or related field; Master’s degree in information technology or a technology-related discipline preferred
- Excellent analytical skills
- All OfferUp employees are required to receive Covid-19 vaccinations unless an employee requires an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered on our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered on diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve. #805