Engineering Manager II – Advertising (In Office or Remote)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with Letgo will reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join the Ads team. Ads team is responsible for generating revenue while maintaining a very good user experience. The team builds systems and features for both 1P and 3P advertising partners.
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with managing engineers. On our team, we’re different. You lead the team and also the technical systems. Your responsibilities will include everything from managing engineers to architecting and monitoring the systems/features. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members (Product, BizOps, CS). The role will be primarily in backend, but the nature of the features often necessitates being a full stack manager.
Here’s more of what you will do:
- Lead, mentor, and coach an engineering team and help engineers to progress in their careers.
- Empower the team to architect, design, build and deliver the next versions of OfferUp Ads backend systems and achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, and simplicity.
- Incubate new ideas and create the engineering roadmap for the team.
- Lead analysis of complex technical issues, technology choices, and communicate them with the team and stakeholders in both written and verbal form to drive consensus.
- Work collaboratively with our business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into simple and robust technical solutions.
- Recruit new engineers to grow and expand our teams.
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of 5+ software engineers.
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services.
- Deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- Professional experience designing services on top of cloud infrastructures such as AWS, Google Cloud, or Microsoft Azure.
- Professional experience working with large scale distributed systems.
- Professional experience with database systems, both relational and NoSQL databases.
- Familiarity with running A/B tests in production environments and analyzing data to launch features.
- Familiarity with SQL queries to analyze data.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS.
- Experience writing code in Python or Java.
- Passion for building new products in a fast paced, team-oriented environment.
OfferUp employees need to reside in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, or Washington. Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp employees are working remotely through at least June 30, 2021. Once the company deems it safe to return to our offices, employees will have the option to continue to work remotely in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee or work in our offices located in Bellevue, WA, or Miami, Florida.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.