Engineering Manager II – Data Science (@Remote)
OfferUp is looking for an experienced Manager of Data Science to help lead our Data Science and ML team. The Data Science team is foundational for building the next generation of OfferUp and helping our customers connect with the deals and items they are looking for quickly and without friction. As a Manager, you will partner with all product areas, adding insights and intelligence to support Personalization, Trust & Safety, Search & Discovery, and Trust & Safety. You will lead and build out a team of Data Scientists.
As an engineering leader you will direct and influence technology and design decisions, and partner with our product leaders on building and delivering on the Data & Personalization roadmap.
This role can be in Bellevue, Washington or @Remote in the following states: Washington, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia.
- Build and lead a team of Data/Applied Scientists in achieving state of the art applied machine learning solutions.
- Own, oversee, and delegate the design, architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale NLP, CV, and classical machine learning systems capable of making real time and batch decisions. Examples include Multi-class Classification of text and images, specialized text extraction, semantic understanding, improved search and retrieval, etc.
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with OfferUp’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Champion operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement of models and solutions which are tightly aligned with rest of the engineering systems
- Establish standards of model updates, detecting model drift and performance and setting up benchmarks of excellence
- Operate strategically and tactically
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
Requirements (All OfferUp employees are required to receive full Covid-19 vaccinations, per CDC guidelines. OfferUp will review accommodation requests due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.)
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 2+ hands-on management experience
- Hands-on prior experience in taking machine learning models to production and continuos improvement
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience integrating modern machine learning methods in the product and engineering systems
- Knowledge of classical NLP methods (POS tagging, NER, n-grams, keyword extraction) as well as deep learning methods (semantic analysis, RNNs, LSTMs/GRUs, transformers)
- Knowledge of large language models(BERT family) and their applications preferred
- Working knowledge of deep learning methods applied to images highly preferred (CNNs, Transfer Learning)
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible engineering teams
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Been actively involved in building vision, strategy, and roadmaps
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally…Come do work that matters. Join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- #2 U.S. shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities by creating safe in-person locations for OfferUp transactions.
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.