Senior Software Development Engineer – DevOps (@Remote)
About the Role:
OfferUp is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer to join our team of highly motivated Engineers working on infrastructure deployment at scale. Be part of the team that solves infrastructure deployment issues with software, delivers high velocity and high-quality infrastructure in multiple cloud providers.
This role can be in Bellevue, Washington or @Remote in the following states: Washington, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Technical leadership and guidance around large scale plans and projects
- Solve Infrastructure related problems with code and you’ve mastered building compute capacity in a fast-paced environment. You will be responsible for leading key projects in design, development, and post-release support of the tools that are used by a variety of internal teams at OfferUp
- Provide guidance on standard design patterns for infrastructure and applications
- Mentoring junior engineers and demonstrate thought leadership
- Participate in capacity builds, New microservice rollout, tools development to solve build issues
- You will get a chance to understand how things work with a large-scale,highly available and secure production infrastructure across numerous AWS and GCP.
- You will drive the automation efforts with IAC tools like Terraform/Puppet/Ansible to eliminate manual work involved in building clusters, performing releases and other operational work
- You will develop plugins to monitor applications and implement self-healing mechanisms to auto-recover from outages
- You will write Pipelines in GitHub Actions to build and deploy artifacts.
- You will get a chance to improve your communication and collaboration skills working with various other teams across OfferUp
- You will be interacting with a highly innovative and creative team of developers, open-source committers and architects
- You will evaluate new technologies to solve problems as needed, and also play a significant role in architectural direction
You’ll thrive in this role if you have: (All OfferUp employees are required to receive full Covid-19 vaccinations, per CDC guidelines. OfferUp will review accommodation requests due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.)
- Demonstrated experience in solving Infrastructure related problems with code and you’ve mastered building compute capacity in a fast-paced environment. You will be responsible for leading key projects in design, development, and post-release support of the tools that are used by a variety of internal teams at OfferUp
- Strong working experience with Linux Systems Administration and Troubleshooting. Strong knowledge of Linux internals and Networking skills.
- Good experience in any of the programming languages: Bash,Python,Java etc.
- Strong knowledge of networking protocols and components: TCP/IP Stack, HTTP, Load Balancers, Caching etc.
- Experience or solid interest in maintaining a highly available service on production scale
- Experience with Docker, AWS, GCP, Kubernetes(EKS), Jfrog, Github and Terraform.
- Experience in any of the monitoring tools like DataDog, Grafana,Splunk etc.
- Experience working with Kuberenetes extensions like Gloo(K8’s Ingress), Flagger etc is a plus.
- Experience in working with any of the build tools like github actions, jenkins, gradle,git, etc.,
- A continuous learner and a critical thinker
- A team player with great communication skills
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience in managing large scale web applications in production
- Experience in GitOps tooling like ArgoCD, FlexCD.
- Knowledge of big data technologies
- Kinesis streams, Kafka, DynamoDB, Flink etc
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- #2 U.S. shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities by creating safe in-person locations for OfferUp transactions.
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.