Site Reliability Engineer- Performance & Scalability
From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and help more people discover value right where they are.
At a Glance
- 85+ Million Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
We are looking for an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to join our Infrastructure Team. We provide tools and services to all teams in OfferUp for managing an increasingly complex production infrastructure handling billions of requests per day. Our success is measured by our ability to allow everyone to stand up and deploy services quickly with no downtime. In this role, you will be at the forefront of driving and developing the technology that improves the availability, scalability, performance and reliability of OfferUp.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- Geekwire App of Year
- 60+ Million Downloads
- Work with other SREs to build a comprehensive set of tools to automate and monitor our production infrastructure
- Work with other engineering teams to build performant, resilient, operable, self-healing services
- Participate in reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of Engineering
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems
- You have the knowledge of various aspects of service design: including messaging protocols & behavior, caching strategies and software design practices
- 2+ years managing groups of servers at scale, preferably in AWS
- Demonstrable knowledge of TCP/IP, HTTP, web application security, and experience supporting multi-tier web application architectures
- Proficient in a modern scripting language, Python preferred
- Experience with system, runtime and application performance profiling
- Experience building load testing frameworks
Nice to have
- Experience with distributed tracing or APM vendors
- Contribution to open source projects
- An active interest in serverless computing and containerization
- Collaborates and works as a team
- Avoids doing things twice
- Solves hard problems for tomorrow, not just for today
- Stays positive and prefers fixing problems to complaining about them
- Investigates, considers and adopts new technology where it makes sense
- Doesn’t tolerate brilliant jerks
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally…Come do work that matters. join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.