Software Development Engineer II – Discovery (In Office or Remote)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with Letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
About the role:
The Discovery team is responsible for presenting the most relevant content to users and for helping buyers find what they are looking for on OfferUp. We like to think of our charter as being the “Google for OfferUp”. Our team leverages technologies such as ElasticSearch, AWS, Google Cloud and Machine Learning to show the most accurate and relevant content to users and is constantly working to improve search. We manage some of the highest TPS services within OfferUp. We have barely scratched the surface in terms of what we want to do and the potential is infinite.
As a Software Development Engineer II you will be responsible for developing and deploying multiple features with high operational excellence. Your responsibilities will include everything from design, writing well-architected and thoroughly tested code to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members, and helping setup good coding patterns.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Develop highly scalable services.
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams across OfferUp.
- Optimize the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Create solutions and/or frameworks that make other team members better and faster
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- All OfferUp employees are required to receive Covid-19 vaccinations unless an employee is in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.
- 2+ years professional software engineering experience
- Demonstrate strong coding skills in any one of the following: Java, .NET, or equivalent programming language
- Good knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience with building scalable web services
- Be comfortable designing services on top of a cloud infrastructure like AWS
- An insatiable desire and ability to learn
- You desire a fast moving, continuous flow development environment
- Experienced with Agile development
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with load balancing, and handling massive data traffic
- Experience in building microservices
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.