Sr. Engineering Manager – Data Platform (In Office or Remote)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with Letgo will reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp employees need to reside in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, or Washington. Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp employees are working remotely through at least June 30, 2021. Once the company deems it safe to return to our offices, employees will have the option to continue to work remotely in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee or work in our offices located in Bellevue, WA, or Miami, Florida.
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for an experienced Sr. Engineering Manager to help lead our Data Platform team. The Data Platform team is responsible for building the data platforms and data services that feed the OfferUp app. This team owns critical services including delivering the output of machine learning models to production services, and serving customer facing data to applications.
In this role, you will lead a high-functioning team of backend engineers. You will foster an engineering culture focused on learning and rapid validation of ideas through experimentation. As an engineering leader, you will support the career growth and development of our engineers. You will also collaborate with our Product, Design, SRE, Data Science teams to design and improve our customer experience.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Lead a team of engineers that drive machine learning models into production
- Improve upon existing data science methodologies by adding new data sources and enabling model enhancements
- Work closely with data scientists, engineers, and business partners to deliver critical systems
- Own, oversee, and delegate the design, architecture, development, testing, deployment, and delivery of large-scale systems, platforms, and microservices
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Champion operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 7+ years of relevant engineering work experience and 2+ hands-on management experience
- Exceptional coding abilities and experience with architectural patterns of large, high-scale applications and data systems
- Experience with microservices design patterns.
- Experience designing fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Actively coached and mentored team members in their careers
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with batch systems and databases
- Experience working across multiple cloud providers (e.g., AWS and GCP)
- Experience working with machine learning or data science teams
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.