Sr. Software Development Engineer – Data Platform (In Office or Remote)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with Letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp offices are closed in Bellevue, Wa, and Miami, FL, and employees are working remotely until June 30, 2021. Once OfferUp deems it safe to open the offices, employees will have an option to continue to work remotely or in-office. All employees must reside in Washington, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, whether working remotely full time or in an OfferUp Office location.
About the role:
Here at OfferUp, data is at the core of our business, providing insights into the effectiveness of our products, and enabling technology that powers them. As the Software Development Engineer on the Data Engineering team, we build and operate OfferUp’s data platform for streaming and batch computation, for data analysis and BI, and to train ML models. If you’re passionate about building large scale distributed data processing systems, and you are motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform used by every team, come join us. You will be part of a team that builds the data ingestion, transport, storage, and orchestration layers. You will help shape the vision and architecture of OfferUp’s next generation data infrastructure, making it easy for developers to build data-driven products and features.
Building the largest and most responsive, mobile marketplace poses unique data challenges that require leveraging the latest developments in data infrastructure. We leverage open source infrastructure where we can, but are ready to build and share solutions if they don’t exist yet. You will build an analytics platform working with cutting-edge technologies like Kafka, Beam, and Airflow.
We regard culture and trust highly, and are looking forward to welcoming your contribution to the team!
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Build and operate large scale data infrastructure in production
- Design, implement and debug distributed data processing systems
- Thinking through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Building self-service platforms to power all other OfferUp applications
- Design and develop applications to process large amounts of critical information in batch and near real-time to power user-facing features
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience in working with distributed systems for processing large scale data
- Ability to communicate technical information effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
- Proficiency in programming languages like Java, Scala or Python
- Experience leveraging open source data infrastructure projects, such as Apache Spark, Beam, Airflow, Kafka, Flink, Samza, Avro, Parquet, Hadoop, Hive, HBase
- Experience building data pipelines and near real-time streaming aggregates
- Experience in building software in AWS, GCP, or a similar cloud environment is highly desirable
- Experience in building microservices using Kubernetes with synchronous and asynchronous APIs
- Experience with Kafka and Apache Beam
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.