Senior Software Development Engineer – Marketplace Core Team
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 90M+ Downloads
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp offices are closed in Bellevue, Wa, and Miami, FL, and employees are working remotely until June 30, 2021. Once OfferUp deems it safe to open the offices, employees will have an option to continue to work remotely or in-office. All employees must reside in Washington, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, whether working remotely full time or in an OfferUp Office location.
About the role:
The MarketPlace Core team is a key component of OfferUp’s vision to ‘empower people to connect and prosper’. We own the GraphQL middle-tier layer. As a MarketPlace Core team member we decide the infrastructure, direction for GraphQL technology, and facilitate the adoption of it across OfferUp.We shape OfferUp’s Graph data model. Our Impact spans across multiple teams.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer with GraphQL /React experience you will be leading architecture/performance improvements, defining best practices, infrastructure, building reusable components for your team, and also socializing them with other teams. You will take pride in the operational excellence of the OfferUps GraphQL middle tier.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Cross-functional point of contact for technical questions with other Tech Leads and Product Managers.
- Provide mentorship, technical direction to team members on a day-to-day basis.
- Responsible for the operational excellence of the team.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies/best practices to maximize development efficiency.
- Participate in on-call rotation duties.
- Dedicated to optimizing the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Collaborate with third-party providers on an as-needed basis, and evaluate/debug/implement 3rd party SDKs.
- Create solutions and/or frameworks that make other team members better and faster.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- Proficient architecting and implementing multiple GraphQL API based services from the ground up.
- Experience with with front end technologies React/React Native, Apollo Client/Relay
- Experience implementing, and maintaining GraphQL Apollo Server in Production.
- Experience with alerting and monitoring tools similar to DataDog.
- Strong coding skills in Java, NodeJs, or other modern programming languages
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Be comfortable designing stateless or stateful services on top of cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Experience with Agile development
- Above all, you thrive in a culture that values collaboration, mentorship, and learning
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline
- Eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- React Native/Native app development experience
- Experience building adoption of GraphQL as a new technology for a mission-critical application.
- Prior proven experience of being a technical lead of a team of 4+ members
- Scrum experience
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.