Staff Software Development Engineer – Ads (In Office or Remote)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
The Ads team is responsible for generating revenue balanced with a great user experience. The team builds systems and features for both First-party (1P), third-party (3P) advertising partners as well as building advertising technology to further engage with the local community.
About the role:
We are looking for a Staff Software Development Engineer to join our Ads team. This team is tasked with complementing our exceptional consumer marketplace with revenue streams from highly relevant advertising.
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well-architected and thoroughly tested code to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members (Product, BizOps, CS) as well as other technology teams in collaboration.
As an experienced developer, you will set the technical strategy for our team, build highly scalable pipelines to ingest rich metadata content for our listings and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence.
What we love about this role:
In this role, you will communicate with diverse teams across OfferUp and our technology partners. You are a highly motivated, seasoned developer able to drive progress in circumstances of ambiguity as well as a detailed product roadmap and extensive key metrics. You have a history of successfully delivering highly available and performant solutions and services. You directly improve the quality of the company, team, and products through mentoring and communication of best practices and patterns.
Here’s more of what you will do:
- Develop the technical strategy for Ads ingestion, serving and tracking
- Develop highly scalable systems without compromising on quality
- Work collaboratively with our business partners and product managers to distill complex business problems into simple and robust technical solutions
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Ads and OfferUp-wide Backend teams
- Collaborate with OfferUp-wide engineering teams to improve processes, surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Leverage our Data Science team to implements ML-based solutions for advertising and audiences
- Identify when to replace, when to rebuild, and when to partner regarding legacy systems
- Support, mentor, and help other engineers in the team
- Participate in reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services.
- 2+ years of experience in Ads systems
- Deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms
- Professional experience working with large scale distributed systems.
- Familiarity with running A/B tests in production environments and analyzing data to launch features.
- Familiarity with SQL queries to analyze data.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- All OfferUp employees are required to receive Covid-19 vaccinations unless an employee is in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with cloud infrastructure using AWS and/or GCP.
- Experience writing code in Java
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.