Staff Software Development Engineer – Catalog (In Office or Remote)
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 90M+ Downloads
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami, and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp employees are working remotely through at least June 30, 2021. Once the company deems it safe to return to our offices, employees will have the option to continue to work remotely in Washington, Florida, North Carolina, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, or work in our offices located in Bellevue, WA, or Miami, Florida.
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for an experienced developer to lead efforts for the Catalog team. The team builds systems that manage our marketplace catalog. These systems process incoming metadata from external providers, for millions of listings, and manage the workflow to publish in our marketplace. They also ensure timely updates of product information and availability with high quality and low latency for OfferUp’s users.
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well-architected and thoroughly tested code to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
As an experienced developer, you will set the technical strategy for our team, build highly scalable pipelines to ingest rich metadata content for our listings, and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Develop the technical strategy for catalog content ingestion, processing, and publishing
- Develop highly scalable pipelines without compromising the quality of ingested data
- Extend Catalog with rich metadata ingestion and integration for contextual search and suggestions (e.g Size & Color for Clothes, Year, Make & Model for Autos)
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (Merchants Api, Discovery, Integrity) to design and implement new features
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Catalog and OfferUp-wide Backend teams
- Collaborate with OfferUp-wide engineering teams to improve processes, surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Support, mentor, and help other engineers in the team
- Participate in reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 4 were devoted to web services
- 4+ years of experience in content ingestion systems
- Experience performing data analysis and translating the results into business recommendations
- Experience in working with data-driven applications at scale
- Strong coding skills in Java, Python, Scala, Golang, or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with high scale catalog or structured data services
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
- Experience in building microservices
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
Come do work that matters. Join a team that believes when we all work together, we get more out of things.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.