Staff Software Development Engineer – Core Marketplace
From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the US. We connect millions of people every day, but we’re still as committed as ever to the founding mission: to build the simplest, most trustworthy local marketplace. We help bring people together in their communities to exchange value, and we think that exchange is the foundation for a kind of commerce that redefines what “value” really means. In our world, the things we buy and sell are just the primer for the really important stuff, like meeting our neighbors, getting more connected to the places we live and the things that live with us, and creating a marketplace where everyone has something to offer.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- Geekwire App of Year
- 60+ Million Downloads
OfferUp is looking for a staff backend developer to join Core Marketplace team at OfferUp.
Why join our team?
Core Marketplace team at OfferUp focuses on a wide range of business problems which have a direct impact on OfferUp users and other internal teams. Key domains are Growth, Engagement, and Safety.
Growth: we work on simplifying login/signup flows, recommending items to users based on their interests, work with marketing team to run different campaigns and drive new users through SEO
Engagement: we focus on simplifying user experience in item search, item post, chat between seller & buyer and manage selling/buying items and Personalizing OfferUp home feed and search
Safety: we focus on gaining user trust by working on features like Profile, Ratings, Meetup spots and maintaining OfferUp community guidelines by Item, Chat and User moderation/curation
As we work on some of the most frequently used features by OfferUp users, we strive to simplify user experience and at the same increase user trust on OfferUp.
About your role:
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well architected and thoroughly tested code, to rolling out the feature to public users by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
As a staff backend engineer in our team, you will build the systems that power OfferUp application, scale highly distributed systems and continuously improve our engineering excellence.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a technical leader within our team and OfferUp
- Possess a deep understanding of the product and business goals which you can translate to tech
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (clients, design, product and data science) to design and implement new features
- Architect, design, develop, deploy and maintain Java or Python services that serve millions of users in a devops manner
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Drive the reliability, scalability and maintainability of the services as they continue to grow
- Collaborate with OfferUp wide engineering teams to surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Support, mentor, and help others engineers in the team
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across CoreMarketplace team and OfferUp-wide Backend team
What you’ll need:
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services
- Deep understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms
- Professional experience designing services on top of a cloud infrastructure like AWS, Google cloud, or Microsoft Azure
- Professional experience working with large scale distributed systems
- Professional experience with database systems both relational and NoSQL database
- Strong coding skills in Java, Python, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- Familiarity with running A/B test in production environment and analyzing data to launch a feature
- Familiarity with SQL queries to analyze data
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Experience with understanding and refactoring legacy code
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
- Experience in continuous integration/deployment environment
- Experience in building microservices