Staff Software Development Engineer – Enterprise Tools (In Office or Remote)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with Letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
About the role:
We are seeking an experienced Staff Software Engineer – Backend to be a leader of our Enterprise Tools team. In many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well architected and thoroughly tested code, to rolling out the feature to our internal users measuring impact along the way. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Be a technical leader within our team and OfferUp
- Possess a deep understanding of the product and business goals which you can translate to tech
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (clients, design, product and data science) to design and implement new features
- Architect, design, develop, deploy and maintain Node and Java backend services that empower all OfferUp.
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Drive the reliability, scalability and maintainability of the services as they continue to grow
- Collaborate with OfferUp wide engineering teams to surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Support, mentor, and help other engineers in the team
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across team and OfferUp-wide Backend team
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- All OfferUp employees are required to receive Covid-19 vaccinations unless an employee is in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.
- 7+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services
- Deep understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms
- Professional experience designing services on top of a cloud infrastructure like AWS, Google cloud, or Microsoft Azure
- 5+ years developing enterprise API’s
- Experience in continuous integration/deployment environment
- Experience in building services oriented architecture.
- Professional experience working with large scale distributed systems
- Professional experience with database systems both relational and NoSQL database
- Strong coding skills in Java or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- Familiarity with running A/B test in production environment and analyzing data to launch a feature
- Familiarity with Terraform and Devops CI/CD
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Excellent communication skills both written and spoken (fluency in English required)
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience leading teams and owning delivery of features end to end
- Experience with understanding and refactoring legacy code
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
- Experience writing code in Node, GraphQL or Java
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.