Staff Software Development Engineer – Integrity
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is looking for an experienced developer to lead efforts for the Integrity team. The team builds systems that detect and prevent fraud behavior in our marketplace. These systems help to maintain our community guidelines and support our partner team’s growth and business strategies. The key problems we focus on are Account takeovers, Phishing, Payment chargebacks, and Prohibited Items.
About the Role:
At many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well-architected and thoroughly tested code to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
As an experienced developer, you will set the technical strategy for our team, build highly scalable systems to detect and prevent fraud and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence.
Here’s more of what you will do:
- Develop the technical strategy for fraud and risk
- Develop highly scalable classifiers and tools leveraging machine learning, data regression, and rules-based models
- Analyze the latest attacker techniques and apply solutions to detect them holistically and stop them proactively
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (risk analysts, data science and operations) to design and implement new features
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Integrity and OfferUp-wide Backend team
- Collaborate with OfferUp-wide engineering teams to improve processes, surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Support, mentor, and help other engineers in the team
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience, of which at least 3 were devoted to web services
- 2+ years of experience in fraud detection and prevention systems
- Experience performing data analysis and translating the results into business recommendations
- Experience in working with data-driven applications at scale
- Strong coding skills in Java, Python, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with anomaly detection, bot detection, machine learning, pattern recognition and/or data mining
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
- Experience in building microservices
- Experience with cloud infrastructure AWS
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally…Come join the team and take the ride of your life! To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp employees need to reside in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, or Washington. Due to the current pandemic, OfferUp employees are working remotely through at least June 30, 2021. Once the company deems it safe to return to our offices, employees will have the option to continue to work remotely in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee or work in our offices located in Bellevue, WA, or Miami, Florida.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.