Head of Human Resources
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 20%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
About the role:
OfferUp’s Head of Human Resources is responsible for cultivating all aspects of the employee life cycle. Through strategic development and execution of Employee Experience initiatives, you support and drive business results, foster manager success, and increase employee engagement and retention. As a critical leader at OfferUp, you act as a business partner to the CEO, COO, and the broader executive team. You provide guidance and structure to all employees, leading the Employee Experience team, and report to the CEO.
The ideal candidate (you) are a strategic collaborator who serves as a business partner to OfferUp leadership. You are a smart, data-driven decision-maker who is great at hiring and developing a great team and takes professional pride in operational excellence while meeting and exceeding stretch goals. You are highly adaptable — having been successful in meeting the demands of a big company as well as being scrappy and hands-on in a start-up. In addition, you have a passion for people development. You are driven to grow and scale OfferUp forward through the inevitable ups and downs of a thriving and maturing tech startup.
- Strategically lead the Employee Experience team– setting our employees up for success to deliver our business goals in all phases of the talent lifecycle – talent acquisition, talent management, talent development, talent rewards, and talent operations.
- Partner with colleagues and leaders to create, communicate, and implement programs and initiatives aligned to business strategy in the areas of employee value proposition, employer brand, recruitment, total rewards, performance management, recognition, engagement, career development, diversity, and employee relations
- Establish appropriate and effective systems, metrics, and processes to ensure that the employee experience team can track and report on activities and meet SLAs
- Drive total rewards strategy and support discipline leader to administer
- Act as a champion for OfferUp’s mission, vision, and values and partner across the company to drive a high-performance work environment focused on our DNA and Operating Principles.
- Continuously assess regulatory and compliance risk and ensure appropriate policies and procedures, working closely with the general counsel.
- Support and partner with recruiting leader to influence recruiting, including managing and meeting staffing/hiring objectives, championing and leading a behavior-based interview process that continually raises the bar on our talent, managing related processes such as immigration while ensuring that we deliver the best candidate experience
- Performance Management: lead the strategy and implementation of effective systems and practices of performance management, including regular performance reviews, organizational leadership reviews, succession planning, performance improvement plan management, and managing and meeting objectives for rates of attrition
- Training and Development: lead the strategy and implementation for training and development programs appropriate to the needs and scale of OfferUp. Develop scrappy approaches to meeting our objectives (e.g., energize and leverage the skills, talent, and time of the OfferUp management team)
- Establish and manage objectives and practices to enable OfferUp to meet its goals for building and maintaining a diverse workforce
- Investigate and resolve employee relations issues as necessary
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- You have 10+ years of applicable People & Culture / Human Resources leadership experience in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- You have a proven track record of setting a vision and strategy for an HR function or group and driving solutions and practices that are both innovative and scrappy.
- Experience managing multiple HR functions and successful people teams that deliver high-quality results on schedule
- You have a combination of experience working with large companies that have established best of class HR processes and practices and working with scrappier, early-stage companies and leaders to blend the right-size programs for OfferUp.
- You can dive deep into your team’s processes and problems, and you manage using data, establishing clear metrics and reports.
- You have experience in establishing operational excellence and driving change management across an organization.
- You are a strong leader of people who has a track record for identifying, attracting, developing, and retaining a talented, diverse team of HR professionals. You are a leader who inspires ideas, encourages test & learn, and takes well-thought-out risks.
- You are flexible yet thoughtful in your strategic decision-making, striking the right balance between advocating for our business and our employees.
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience working in e-commerce and mobile marketplaces
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.