Associate General Counsel; Director, Legal (Bellevue)
From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
OfferUp At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is seeking an experienced business attorney to serve as Associate General Counsel; Director, Legal or Senior Corporate Counsel, Legal to support OfferUp’s fast-growing marketplace business. This role will report to the General Counsel and work collaboratively with the rest of the Legal Department. The OfferUp Legal Department is a client-focused group with a strong emphasis on providing exceptional legal advice and advancing the Company’s business goals. This growing team values collaboration and high-quality work product and is dedicated to its members’ professional development.
- Support OfferUp’s product teams by advising on legal and risk issues related to OfferUp services.
- Provide strategic advice on a variety of consumer and business facing digital advertising products to ensure compliance with regulations and consumer protection laws.
- Review products, features and initiatives to provide practical legal risk mitigation strategies for products across multiple jurisdictions, with an emphasis on legal issues related to the mobile app ecosystem.
- Negotiate and draft general business and commercial agreements such as licensing agreements, SaaS agreements, vendor agreements, and other technology services agreements.
- Resolve issues that arise in OfferUp’s ongoing commercial relationships.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of document templates, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents.
- Deliver training and guidance to employees on legal issues, best practices, and company policies.
- Provide advice and counsel on employment law issues including policies, hiring, discipline, terminations, and pay/benefits.
- Provide day-to-day legal advice and assist with other legal matters as the need arises.
- Lead outside counsel relationships as appropriate.
- At least 9 years of relevant experience is required for the Associate General Counsel role, preferably from a mix of law firm and inhouse positions.
- Candidates with at 5+ years of experience will be considered for a Senior Corporate Counsel role.
- JD from an accredited law school and an active member of the WA bar.
- Comfortable with a hybrid office schedule (minimum two days in the office every week).
- Must be enthusiastic and hard-working.
- Team player who enjoys working with, supporting and building relationships with other attorneys and internal clients.
- Ability to operate successfully in a fast-paced environment that places a high premium on excellence, execution, and teamwork.
- Strong understanding of mobile apps, digital advertising and similar technologies.
- Experience in either privacy compliance or human resources is not required, but would be beneficial.
- Demonstrated history of assessing and managing risk.
- Ability to work independently when necessary.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility to work in multiple legal disciplines to address the various needs of clients.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Able to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects at once.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.