Investigator, Legal (Bellevue, WA)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
About the role:
The OfferUp Law Enforcement Investigations Team plays a critical role in making OfferUp the safest, most trusted local marketplace. This group of fearless crime fighters works closely with our Legal, Customer Service, and Analytics teams and with our partners at law enforcement agencies across the country to identify bad actors, remove them from our marketplace, and help local police and prosecutors bring them to justice!
We’re seeking to add an Investigator to help keep our marketplace safe. This position will work under the direction of the Sr. Investigations Manager to investigate reported or suspected crime and fraud and work with Law Enforcement to identify and prosecute the bad actors.
This role is open to experienced investigators and highly-motivated individuals who are willing to work hard to quickly speed up.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Conduct investigations on reported crime/fraud in the OfferUp marketplace
- Work with law enforcement on criminal investigations and prosecutions
- Build incidents in the case management system with a high level of accuracy and quality, ensuring that all critical data fields are completed consistently
- Manage sensitive and confidential case information
- Utilize data and leverage technology from multiple internal and other investigative sources to initiate, document, and resolve investigations
- Support the crisis response process during escalated incidents
- Stay current on all cybercrime trends and investigative techniques
- Collaborate, and develop cross-functional partnerships with internal teams
- Actively engage with OfferUp leadership to ensure they are kept apprised of any significant risks or changes identified during the handling of an incident
- Prepare timely, detailed, and accurate and investigation reports, executive summaries, Incidents of Interest, and other documents, supported by evidence collected as a result of the investigation
- Monitor social media and media reports and work with relevant teams to respond and resolve matters immediately
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, evenings, and varying shift
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent job experience
- Experience in a fast-paced workplace
- Demonstrated ability to quickly analyze data, find patterns, and make accurate decisions with little guidance
- Ability to thrive in an ever-changing environment
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Self-motivation and ability to switch gears at a moment’s notice
- Instinctive curiosity and desire to dig deeper into details
- Excellent communication, verbal, and writing skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and data security standards
- Ability to research, orally communicate and write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals clearly and concisely, effectively present information, and respond to questions.
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with criminal investigations, Trust and Safety, law enforcement, LE support, or retail loss prevention a plus
- Bilingual a plus
- Legal experience a plus
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.