Director of Public Relations
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is seeking a Director of Public Relations who is passionate about developing and executing corporate and consumer communications strategies. This is a leadership role that will impact Company success by driving public relations initiatives to support business objectives and protect and enhance OfferUp’s reputation and visibility. This role will report directly to the Chief Growth Officer and will regularly interact with other executives as a member of the extended leadership team.
In this role, you will:
- Design and implement a comprehensive plan for Company Public Relations that drives achievement of Company goals. This plan should include alignment with corporate brand strategy, proactive outreach to media, thoughtful consideration of reactive messaging to events, and building relationships with current and potential investors.
- Understand, define, and drive key metrics and success measures for ROI on PR for the Company
- Drive positive coverage across a broad range of media, including broadcast, print, and consumer outlets
- Manage both in-house team and external agency support
- Liaise and foster relationships with a wide range of reporters
- Handle a wide range of high-profile and complex media inquiries
- Organize press briefings, events, and activations
- Prepare briefing materials and brief executive spokespeople
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams across the company, including Marketing, Accounting/Finance, HR, and Legal
- Minimum of 15 years communications, marketing, public relations, or related experience
- Direct experience working with C-Level executives in developing strategic corporate positioning
- Have experience working with public company investor relations, ideally with IPO experience. This should include experience with financial reporting metrics.
- Strategic thinker who can clearly communicate the impact of PR initiatives on critical Company goals
- Excellent writer and communicator with keen attention to detail
- Strong people management skills
- Proven ability to work with and influence a range of senior level stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a team and across organizational boundaries
- Track record of landing proactive communications campaigns
- Experience in managing crises and complex high-profile issues
- All OfferUp employees are required to receive Covid-19 vaccinations unless an employee requires an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered in our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered in diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.