Principal Product Manager, Search and Discovery (Bellevue/Hybrid)
Are you a user-centric and technical product manager who wants to revolutionize search and discovery at one of Seattle’s most successful startups? OfferUp is seeking a Principal Product Manager for its Consumer team.
As the Principal Product Manager for Search and Discovery, you will drive our search strategy in partnership with our Search Engineering and data science teams, using available and emerging technologies to deliver outstanding search results for millions of users on OfferUp’s world-class local peer-to-peer marketplace. You will bring your strong understanding of the technical aspects of search to this highly technical role, including deep experience in indexing, query development and processing, query rewrites, autosuggest, spelling and language corrections, faceting, and more. Your expertise will be instrumental in effectively driving outcomes with your engineering team. You will also bring a thorough understanding of metrics, statistics, experiments, machine learning, and AI to the table that allows you to experiment quickly, learn fast, and drive results.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Lead one or more engineering development teams tackling multi-faceted search and discovery development initiatives.
- Work with large data sets, perform complex data analysis, and develop/optimize algorithms, data structures and/or search infrastructure to solve complex search challenges.
- Guide generation of end-to-end feature requirements through collaboration with analysts, designers, data scientists, engineers, sales, support, marketing, and business leadership
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Consumer Product Management to ensure the features you implement help solve larger strategic problems.
- Use sound judgment to evaluate multiple tradeoffs, competing priorities, and business or technical constraints.
- Influence cross-functional leaders with contributions to discussions and decisions.
You’ll thrive in this role if you are:
- A motivated, data-driven critical thinker and problem solver with a strong bias for action.
- Results driven, with a proven track record of significantly impacting key product metrics, such as Activation, Engagement, Retention, and User Satisfaction (NPS, CSAT)
- An excellent communicator able to effectively explain the value proposition of deliverables and the rationale behind their prioritization.
- Consistently curious and user-centric, always seeking to understand our marketplace, our users, our competition and our opportunities better.
- An agile development expert with a proven track record of effective delivery in a fast-paced organization.
- An experienced team leader able to break down opportunities into key objectives and metrics, track team progress, and always ensure we deliver value.
- An experienced practitioner of statistical experimentation frameworks and analysis.
- Able to write effective business and technical requirements, including epics, features, user stories and acceptance criteria.
- A strong developer of cross-functional partnerships across Engineering, Product, Design, Analytics and other stakeholder teams.
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience leading a team dedicated to search, recommendation, or personalization within the realms of e-commerce or social media applications.
- Experience using ML and AI in search applications.
Compensation Range: $180,000 – $205,000
OfferUp offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to the business. Individual salaries within our ranges are determined through a variety of factors including, but not limited to education, experience, knowledge, skills and geography. All roles will receive equity in OfferUp as part of their compensation, the amount of equity varying depending on the individual’s level and experience.
In addition to our compensation package, this role is eligible to enroll in health insurance, healthcare savings and spending accounts, retirement savings benefits (401(k) plan with match), basic and voluntary life insurance, disability benefits, and paid time off for sick leave, family and/or medical leave, vacation, and 12 company holidays. In regard to vacation time, OfferUp has a flexible vacation policy and, in general, full-time exempt employees will be expected to take 3-5 weeks (15-30 days) of pre-planned vacation time per year. Vacation needs are flexible and will naturally vary from year to year based on individual circumstances and business needs. In regard to sick time, all full-time employees (exempt and non-exempt) will be granted 12 days (96 hours) of sick time per year (pro-rated if they start a date other than January 1). Your recruiter can share more details about specific benefits during the interview process.
OfferUp is the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S. We are changing the way people buy and sell in their communities by providing a uniquely simple and trusted experience on our iOS and Android apps. Our goal is to be the platform of choice for local commerce by connecting buyers and sellers through an interface that makes selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from a mobile device. OfferUp was founded in 2011 and has grown to serve local markets across the U.S. with more than 1 in 5 adults using OfferUp in 2022.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- Top 10 Shopping app in the App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.