VP of Product, Marketplace
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- #2 U.S shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
About The Role
As VP of Marketplace you will be part of the company’s executive team and own the nucleus of the entire OfferUp local platform experience. You will be responsible for the core parts of our shopping experience, including Homepage browse, keyword search, and Catalogue, ML, and Trust & Safety to name a few. You will be tasked with delighting our shoppers by helping them discover what they’re looking for from the wide range of products available on OfferUp. You will be tasked with defining the right product direction and building a high-performing team. This role will work closely with the other product leaders, design, and engineering teams at OfferUp.
We are looking for an extremely entrepreneurial Product Management Leader to help innovate and execute product initiatives across the company and value moving quickly with an emphasis on experimentation. OfferUp Product Management Leaders work with cross-functional teams of engineers, designers, data scientists and researchers to build products.
The ideal candidate is a strategic collaborator who serves as a business partner to OfferUp leadership. You are a smart, data-driven decision-maker who takes professional pride in operational excellence while meeting and exceeding stretch goals. You are highly adaptable — having been successful in meeting the demands of a big company and being scrappy and hands-on in a start-up. In addition, you have a passion for product development and are driven to grow and scale OfferUp forward through the inevitable ups and downs of an earlier stage tech company. You obsess over the customer experience and delighting our users at every moment in the user journey.
- Defining critical pieces of the Discovery journey for millions of buyers each day, including which items are surfaced from our extensive catalog and how they are presented to the buyer
- Drive product development with a team of world-class engineers and designers
- Lead a team through the ideation, technical development, and launch of innovative products
- Working hand-in-hand with the Executive team, Product Leadership, Engineering and Data Science organizations for project delivery, issue prioritization, and ongoing execution.
- Understand OfferUp’s strategic and competitive position and deliver products that are recognized best in the industry
- Be a change agent to maximize efficiency in a constantly evolving environment where the process is fluid and creative solutions are the norm
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of products
- Adapting and modifying the product and business requirements based on quantitative and qualitative results.
- Acting as a champion for OfferUp’s mission, vision, and values, and partner across the Company to drive a high-performance work environment.
About You (All OfferUp employees are required to receive Covid-19 vaccinations unless an employee is in need of an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.)
- Proven track record of setting a vision and strategy combined with driving solutions and practices that are both innovative and scrappy.
- 10+ years of Product Management and P&L Management experience building and delivering B2C products within a high-performance tech company serving millions of customers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. You are able to communicate effectively with non-technical and technical audiences across all levels of the organization.
- Detail-oriented, have sound judgment, and can break down complex problems and find simple, elegant solutions.
- Manage using data, establishing clear metrics and reporting for the Products that you lead.
- Fluent in and able to coach and teach others in best practices for operating a business, including Operational Planning and P&L management.
- Strong leader of people who has a track record for identifying, attracting, developing, and retaining a talented, diverse team of product professionals.
- A leader who inspires ideas, encourages test & learn, and takes well-thought-out risks.
- You have a combination of experience working with large companies that have established Best of Class Product and Engineering practices and operating effectively at an early-stage technology company.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred
- Experience with Discovery, Search and/or Personalization.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally. Do work that matters. Join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered on our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered on diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.