Head, Business Development and Strategic Partnership (Bellevue, WA)
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with Letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
At a Glance
- 100M+ Downloads
- 20M+ monthly users
- Top 5 Shopping app in App Store and Google Play Store for three years
- 15%+ of adults in several markets use OfferUp every month (LA, Miami, Phoenix, Seattle, Las Vegas, Riverside, Orlando)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities
OfferUp is looking for a Head of Business Development who is experienced in working with various business partners and different business models in a scrappy, tech startup environment.
The ideal candidate (you) will manage and develop OfferUp’s present and future partnerships and avenues of business growth, as well as negotiating and managing contracts with current and future partners and vendors. In this role, you will partner cross-functionally across OfferUp’s engineering, customer support, finance, and legal, and executive teams.
We are seeking an exceptional leader with a track record of success in business development and vendor management. This position will have a proven track record of working with various customers at the VP level or higher and will have a good understanding of e-commerce and online advertising business models. They should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, and work cross-organizationally to build consensus. A leader who is driven, adaptable, and able to deliver results in a scrappy way, and thrives in a startup environment is a must.
In this role, you will:
- Serve as the leader of the Business Development function at OfferUp.
- Oversee vendor management and negotiation, including managing vendor management personnel.
- Define and execute a strategic market development plan and ensure it aligns with OfferUp’s operating plan in partnership with key internal stakeholders (e.g., product teams, engineering, customer support, finance, legal, etc.)
- Define and establish a process for vendor management at OfferUp in collaboration with internal stakeholders
- Gather business requirements for new third party vendor needs and effectively source and negotiate contracts with them
- Build business development pipeline by engaging with key prospects and partners
- Understand the technical requirements of our customers and work closely with the internal development teams to guide the direction of our product offerings
- Present business reviews to the senior management team regarding progress and roadblocks to meeting our business development and vendor cost management goals
- Manage complex contract negotiations and liaison with the legal group
- Manage effective cost reduction of third party vendor spending
- Handle a high volume of engagements and interactions in a fast-paced tech startup company
- Strong leader with the technical, product, and customer-facing experiences
- 7-10 years of business development and/or vendor management experience in the tech industry (ideally a mix of large and small companies)
- Analytical, data-driven, and demonstrate balanced strategy, planning, and execution skills
- Strong leadership skills are key, with proven verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations and lead through influence.
- All OfferUp employees are required to receive Covid-19 vaccinations unless an employee requires an exemption from this policy due to a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
OfferUp’s success is centered on our ability to build community and empower everyone to connect and prosper. Inclusion is central to our concept of a healthy community and our company’s values are centered on diversity. We are fully committed to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience. The celebration of our identities fuels our innovation and connects us to our customers and the communities we serve.