Trust & safety

The most valuable currency in our marketplace is trust.

We’re building a local marketplace where the wellbeing of buyers and sellers comes first. We’ll keep obsessing over every detail of the experience so our buyers and sellers can connect with more confidence. And we'll keep holding ourselves and our community to high standards.

Buying Tips

Find out how to successfully inspect and purchase items.


Selling Tips

Get tips on how to engage with buyers and sell more confidently.


Code of Conduct


We don’t all live next door to each other, but we think every OfferUp experience can be better if we act like we do.

Set fair prices, make fair offers.
We’re after that perfect marketplace equilibrium where everyone feels like they got a good deal. Prices and offers that reflect the real value of things help us get there. 

Tell the truth.
We’re still looking for the place where this advice doesn’t apply, but it’s especially important here. Thorough descriptions of posted items and transparent conversations about the details of an offer will help everyone find more success more quickly. 

Show up when you say you will.
If 80% of success is showing up, we think the other 20% is being on time. Please don’t flake. If you can’t make it on time, found another buyer, or you’re no longer interested, please let each other know. 


We have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to violations of good citizenship. This is a place to be your best self. If you infringe on the security, privacy, safety, or dignity of members of the OfferUp community, your stay in our marketplace will be short. 

No bullying, no violence, no threats.
We prohibit acts of violence, verbal or written suggestions of violence, and any attempt to intimidate, harass, or otherwise violate the safety and well-being of others. 

No discrimination.
Everyone who abides by our policies and standards is welcome here. Mistreatment of any kind on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or disability will not be tolerated. 

No misrepresentation.
Be yourself. We accept no substitutes. Impersonation of other people, other entities, or OfferUp employees is not allowed, regardless of affiliation. And posting another person’s personal information in any form is prohibited. 

No coarse or suggestive language.
We prohibit sexual harassment. If a member of our community reports vulgar or abusive language or behavior, we will take immediate steps to remove the offending user from our marketplace. 

No scams.
We will remove any user who impersonates another person or entity, sends unsolicited messages to potential buyers, or sends misleading, fake, or malicious communication. If you’re on the receiving end of something suspicious, please report it through the app.

No prohibited items. 
We prohibit certain items on our platform to protect our community. Some items are illegal and others may pose health and safety issues. We've also chosen not to allow items that we feel are inappropriate for our community or could be considered offensive or immoral.  Please review our Prohibited Item Guidelines, Posting rules and Community guidelines.


We ask members of our community to take their personal wellbeing as seriously as we do by making good decisions about how and where to buy and sell.

Avoid phishyness.
Please don’t give away personal information such as email, phone number, or address. Use in-app messaging to communicate securely. Pay sellers directly with cash, do not make wire transfers or send money by mail.

Meet in a sensible location.
Please agree to meet in well-lit, well-crowded public locations, and let a friend or family member know where you’re going. 

Inspect items in person.
Please thoroughly inspect and test items before you complete a sale. 

Report problems.
If you see something on OfferUp that violates our policy, please report it through the app. If you have an experience with a buyer or seller that violates our community standards, please take the appropriate action to safeguard your personal wellbeing, and then contact us. 

Rate each other.
We expect members of our community to earn high marks, but our in-app rating tool is your opportunity to give each other honest feedback on the buying and selling experience and help improve that experience for others.

OfferUp will take action against known violators of this Code of Conduct. If you see something or experience something that doesn’t live up to these standards, please contact us. 



We are here to help solve problems and investigate issues when they arise. Please contact us for assistance.


We work closely with our Law Enforcement Partners to ensure incidents requiring further investigation are handled accordingly. To learn more about how we assist Law Enforcement Officers, please visit our Law Enforcement Resource Page.